This research facility will focus on research in the application and development of advanced sensor technologies for the monitoring of the UK’s existing and future infrastructure, in order to improve resilience and extract maximum whole life value. The use of advanced sensors and appropriate data analysis will ensure better product quality, enhanced construction safety, and smarter asset management.
A major new building (4280m²) on the West Cambridge Campus will house
- double- and single height laboratories for rapid prototyping and open-source microcontroller platforms to produce and develop novel sensors systems at a range of scales
- vibration isolated and severe environment laboratories to test and calibrate sensors under a range of environmental conditions and temperatures
- a Microelectromechanical systems (MEMS) lab
- an advanced structural dynamics lab with scaled and full-scale physical testing capabilities
- advanced facilities for data analysis and smart construction computation
- a field deployment team
- lecture and teaching space
The building is due to open in 2018.